Dont have an account?Sign up
Founded in 1884 by Lt-General Augustus Pitt Rivers, who donated his extensive collection to the University of Oxford with the conditions that a permanent lecturer in anthropology must be appointed and that a building should be provided to house the collection and used for no other purpose. Construction was completed in 1886.
The original donation consisted of approximately 22,000 items which has now grown to over 500,000 items, many of which have been donated by travellers, scholars, and missionaries. The museum’s collection is arranged thematically, according to how the objects were used; the display of many examples of a particular type of tool or artefact, showing historical and regional variations, is an unusual and distinct feature of this museum.
It houses many interesting anthropology and ethnology items and collections, and throughout the whole year, a wide range of talks, workshops, conferences and activities for children are held on its premises.
For more information, see prm.ox.ac.uk
We have a number of apartments, including a spacious one bed studio apartment, a one bed Victorian town-house, and a one bed apartment with off-road parking situated in the nearby Jericho area of the city; perfectly positioned for many of Oxford’s museums and the beautiful Oxford University Parks.
For further information, contact our lettings team quoting the property reference numbers.